Learn about the challenges faced by LGBT families when trying to adopt and what you can do to help!
The guide includes:
• A brief overview of the barriers that TGNC children and youth are currently facing while in Children’s
• A glossary of terms commonly used when discussing TGNC people found in Section 29;
• An overview of Children’s Services’ commitment to providing culturally competent care for TGNC children
and youth. Cultural competence refers to an ability to interact and work effectively with people of
different cultures, socio-economic experiences, and backgrounds;
• An issue-by-issue guide to providing inclusive care, including:
• Excerpts of the Children’s Services’ policies related to serving TGNC children and youth,
• Best practices for service provision that are consistent with these policies,
• Strategies for implementing these policies with fidelity, and
• Common missteps to avoid when working with TGNC children and youth.
At the end of this guide, you will find appendixes with resources and referrals that will be of use in supporting
the transgender and gender non-conforming children and youth with whom you presently work, or will work
with in the future. For further guidance on supporting TGNC youth in Children’s Services’ care, please contact
the LGBTQ point person for your site, or the Children’s Services’ Office of LGBTQ Policy and Practice.
Click the link below to view the guide in its entirety.
Fostering Success Michigan is a program of Educate Tomorrow that aims to increase access and success in higher education and post-college careers for youth with experience in foster care. Learn how you can contribute to building a holistic network that insulates (i.e., strengthens protective factors and reduces risks) the education to career "pipeline."Make a Donation